Sustainable coffee roasting leaves a light carbon footprint – are your customers sipping sustainable coffee? At Gaviña, we make environmentally “green” coffee at our eco-friendly facility in California. We are committed to preserving the Earth’s natural resources for future generations.
As part of our corporate stewardship program, we focus on six core areas where we can minimize the environmental impact of our business: Energy, Water, Waste, Transportation, Pollution Prevention, and Climate Protection.
Top 26 ways we are environmentally friendly:
Reducing energy consumption:
1. Designing our state-of-the-art facility with skylights strategically positioned to maximize daylight and improve airflow for staff comfort.
2. Installing high-reflectance roof to reduce energy needs to cool our workplace.
3. Retrofitting with more energy-efficient indoor lighting fixtures, and using natural lighting whenever possible.
4. Conducting energy audit and streamlining our manufacturing processes to minimize our energy needs from production.
5. Installing a regenerative thermal oxidizer for our roasters to further reduce our gas consumption and volatile organic compounds emission.
Conserving water and protecting drinking water:
6. Installing water-conserving kitchen and restroom fixtures.
7. Installing hand dryers in our restrooms.
8. Reusing water from our swamp coolers.
Moving toward a goal of being a zero-waste-to-landfill facility:
9. Currently diverting 91% of our waste from the landfill.
10. Recycling waste generated from our manufacturing area including coffee chaff and grounds, burlaps, OCC, chipboard, shrink-wrap, plastic, broken pallets, and coffee packaging film waste.
11. Recycling facility-wide generation of paper, bottles, and cans.
12. Donating coffee bean waste from cleanup process to third party vendors.
13. Donating clean, consumable coffee (from inventory control or that doesn’t meet specifications) to local nonprofit organizations, food banks and shelters.
14. Minimizing paper usage with digital communication/document storage for internal and external communication.
15. Donating useable computer equipment, office fixtures and supplies, and cell phones (recycling what can’t be donated).
16. Purchasing materials locally and choosing items made with post-consumer content and from renewable sources whenever possible.
17. Implementing just-in-time protocols to streamline coffee production and minimize coffee bean waste.
Reducing our mileage travelled and fuel consumption:
18. Encouraging employees to carpool, take public transportation, and bike to work.
19. Reducing our shipping and distribution miles travelled via trip mapping and scheduling systems.
Conserving natural resources and preserving our environment:
20. Maintaining SQF certification for our facility to ensure health and safety of our employees and products we provide to our consumers.
21. Implementing Integrated Pest Management program that utilizes preventive protocols and uses organic and low toxic chemicals.
22. Using organic, zero, and/or low toxic chemicals in our janitorial and maintenance routines.
23. Minimizing use of hazardous materials and substituting safe alternatives whenever possible.
24. Recycling e-waste, universal waste, and batteries.
Reducing GHG emission to mitigate climate change:
25. Conducting monthly preventive maintenance to reduce/prevent fugitive emission leaks from our HVAC, manufacturing equipment, and company owned fleets and vehicles.
26. Purchasing zero-emission or hybrid vehicles that utilize renewable fuel when replacing current inventory.
Every year, we strive to make the best tasting, most sustainable coffee you can find anywhere. Thank you for helping us move closer to our goals!